We have had lots of new denims in recently so we thought we’d put together some sewing suggestions to get you inspired. If you checked out The Refashioners 2016 line up you’ll be looking for your own project, so take your pick!
Tips For Sewing With Denims
– Pre-wash your denim before cutting out in case it shrinks a little. This will also ensure the removal of any excess dye, so remember to wash separately!
– Press the denim, do this whilst it’s still damp will really help remove any creases.
– Make sure the grainline are aligned correctly when laying out your pattern.
– Cut the denim with sharp scissors.
– Use the correct needle! Jeans sewing needles are specifically designed to puncture through multiple layers of heavy fabric.
– Overlock or zigzag in seams to stop fraying and lengthen the stitch if the fabric is heavy.
– Don’t rush sewing with denim & hand wheel through any bulk.
– Press all darts & seams before reinforcing seams with top stitching.
– If you need to use interfacings, use a light one to reduce bulk & consider using a contrasting fabric for inside pockets or any not immediately visible parts of the coat