You may want to add dress lining fabric to an item for many different reasons:
• Creates a layer of opacity under sheer or semi-transparent fabrics
• Adds comfort to a garment, particularly if the main fabric is not smooth textured
• Helps the clothing glide over your body or other clothes
• Adds a touch of contrast to items such as jackets
• Improves the way a garment hangs
• Helps to lessen creases
• Prevents bagging at the seat in dresses, skirts and trousers
• Makes it much easier to slip clothing on and off
• Finally, it provides a neat inside finish and conceals interfacing, padding, the raw edges of seams, and other construction details.
We stock two types of dress lining fabric:
We have a lovely quality 100% polyester anti–static dress lining. This comes in a range of colours to suit your dress-making project. Because of its anti-static properties, it prevents your handmade garments from riding up as you walk or move. This fabric lining is smooth to the touch, soft, pliable, and lightweight – therefore it will not interfere in any way with the hang of the garment fabric. It sews easily and doesn’t stretch.
We also stock a basic, cheaper 100% acetate dress-lining in brown, which is also anti-static.
We recommend washing these fabrics at 40 degrees Celsius.