Cotton is a natural fibre that comes from the seedpod of the cotton plant. It is the most popular fabric in the world for several reasons. Firstly, it is easy to care for. Secondly, this fabric ‘breathes’ so is comfortable in hot, humid weather. As the body perspires, the fibers absorb the moisture and release it on the surface of the fabric, so it evaporates. Finally, in cold weather, if the fabric remains dry, the fibers retain body heat so keeping the wearer warm.
We have a lovely selection for you to browse:
• Cotton Twill – woven with a pattern of diagonal lines on the face of the fabric
• Boucle Cotton Stretch – features a looped, textured surface with a little stretch
• Lawn & Voile – lightweight, breathable fabric made with fine, high count yarns
• Poplin & Shirting – more densely woven than Lawn and is light to mediumweight
• Calico – a plain woven unbleached fabric
These lovely fabrics are perfect for dressmaking, especially for sewing dresses, blouses, tops, shirts, skirts, tunics and children’s clothes.
How do I wash these fabrics?
Wash at 30˚ using non-bio liquid. Wash the fabric before cutting and sewing, as it is likely to shrink a little. Iron using the appropriate setting for cotton on your iron. Hang to dry naturally or tumble dry on a low setting.