What is Modal French Terry Knit?
Our super soft new Modal French Terry Knit has a four-way stretch in the fabric that provides great flexibility for comfortable clothing.
French Terry Stretch Fabric is perfect for comfortable sweatshirts, jersey dresses, tops and bottoms.
It is a very versatile fabric all year round. Modal is a natural fibre similar to rayon/ viscose
What is French Terry Jersey Fabric?
Our French Terry Knit fabric contains mostly cotton with some Spandex which gives some stretch. Softer and lighter than sweatshirt jersey, it makes a great fabric for spring and summer. Additionally, it is great for layering in the colder months. Instead of having a looped knit on the reverse (like most Terry knits) it has piles of yarn that are brushed to create a softer surface which is very comfortable against the skin. This fabric is perfect for lounge wear, hoodies, jackets, jumpers, cosy dresses, tunics and cardigans.
How do I care for these fabrics?
As with most fabrics, we suggest you wash before cutting and sewing, in case of shrinkage. We recommend you machine-wash the fabric on a 30 degree cycle. Dry naturally, then press the fabric from the wrong side on a medium heat.
Any tips for sewing these fabrics?
• We recommend a ball point/jersey needle: 70/10 to 90/12
• Use stay-tape for stabilising seams around armholes, shoulders and necklines
• A Serger sews this fabric really well but is not essential, an ordinary sewing machine works just fine
• Use a twin needle for a professional looking finish for top stitching
• You can use an all purpose sewing foot but if you are sewing multiple layers you could switch to a walking foot which might be easier
• Test your stitching on a small cut-off piece first – we recommend a stitch length of around 3 to 3.5
• Do not pull the fabric through the machine when sewing, but stretch it slightly while sewing.
Here at Dragonfly Fabrics we have a lovely selection of french terry sweatshirt fabrics in a range of pretty pastel and jewel bright colours. We hope you enjoy browsing our range.