What is Winter Sweatshirt Fabric?
Our high quality Winter Sweatshirt fabric has a smooth knitted side and a very soft, brushed backing. It consists of a mix of cotton and polyester and is 420 g per metre.
What is French Terry Knit Fabric?
Our French Terry Knit fabric contains mostly cotton with some Spandex which gives some stretch. Softer and lighter than sweatshirt jersey, it makes a great fabric for spring and summer. Additionally, it is great for layering in the colder months. Instead of having a looped knit on the reverse (like most Terry knits) it has piles of yarn that are brushed to create a softer surface which is very comfortable against the skin. This fabric is perfect for lounge wear, hoodies, jackets, jumpers, cosy dresses, tunics and cardigans.
Our Summer French Terry contains some polyester to make a lighter fabric. Because of this, it makes a lovely fabric for the warmer months. The reverse side of the fabric has a loopback pile.
How do I care for these fabrics?
As with most fabrics, we suggest you wash before cutting and sewing, in case of shrinkage. We recommend you machine-wash the fabric on a 30 degree cycle. Dry naturally or tumble dry on low heat. Press the fabric on a medium heat.
Any tips for sewing these fabrics?
• We recommend a ball point/jersey needle: 70/10 to 90/12
• Use stay-tape for stabilising seams around armholes, shoulders and necklines
• A Serger sews this fabric really well but is not essential, an ordinary sewing machine works just fine
• Use a twin needle for a professional looking finish for top stitching
• You can use an all purpose sewing foot but if you are sewing multiple layers you could switch to a walking foot which might be easier
• Test your stitching on a small cut-off piece first – we recommend a stitch length of around 3 to 3.5
• Do not pull the fabric through the machine when sewing, but stretch it slightly