Ponte Roma is very popular this year and we have 15 new fabrics to choose from!
Ponte di Roma fabric was first developed in Italy, it is made using two sets of needles on 2 knitting beds. This makes it a double knit, a double layered, weft knitted fabric. The fabric has a face side and a reverse side that has a slight horizontal line running through fabric. Ponte Roma is normally made in block colours and can sometimes be reversible, it’s a stable fabric, closely knitted together to make a medium to heavy weight fabric. Ponte Roma can be made from all sorts of different weights of yarn and often contains elastane for some more stretch. Because the fabric is a double knit and only contains small amount of stretch it holds it’s shape well. The fabric edges do not curl when it’s cut, therefore this jersey is easy to sew and these attributes make it a good starting place for those who haven’t yet sewn with knits before.
Ponte Roma is easy to wear and durable, perfect for everyday wear. It is a flattering fabric as it doesn’t cling to the body, it is also firm so holds it’s shape and resists creasing. It makes great dresses, skirts, tunics, yoga style trousers, soft jackets and tops.
Sewing tips for Ponte Roma:
- Always pre-wash your jersey fabric
- Try not to use the tumble drier as this can damage elastane after time
- Press your ponte roma fabric on a medium heat
- We recommend a ball point needle 70/10 – 90/12
- Stay tape can be useful for stabilising seams around armholes, shoulders and necklines
- You can use an all purpose sewing foot but if you are sewing multiple layers you could switch to a walking foot.
- Test your stitching on a small cut-off piece first, a stitch length of around 2.5 is recommended for Ponte Roma
- Do not pull or stretch the fabric through the machine when sewing
We have put together a few pattern suggestions to inspire you:
The Named sewing patterns are new in and this easy A-line dress pattern has three garment options.
An easy to make, fitted pencil skirt that can be worn all year around.
An everyday dress, loosely fitted and can be worn casually or dressed up.
The cowl neck option would look beautiful in Ponte Roma
Choose from three different skirt styles, a great introduction to sewing with knits.
Visit our website here to look at the Ponte Roma range and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for offers, news and updates!